Policy on browser cookies
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small data file that the server for the BNP Paribas Fortis website saves on hard disk of your computer or on a mobile device with Internet access, such as a smartphone or a tablet. A cookie does not directly disclose your personal identity, but it does enable us to recognise the computer or device which you are using to browse the Internet.
Types of cookies
In addition to the legal distinction between functional cookies and performance cookies, cookies can be divided into categories according to their origin, function and lifetime.
- First-party cookies (direct cookies): these cookies are set by BNP Paribas Fortis during your visit to one of our sites.
- Third-party cookies (indirect cookies): these cookies are set by a third party when you visit a BNP Paribas Fortis website, such as cookies set by Google, Twitter or Facebook.
- Functional cookies: these cookies monitor correct operation of the website. They include login cookies, registration cookies and language preference cookies. Functional cookies are first-party cookies.
- Performance cookies: these cookies are set on the website for statistical, social or commercial purposes or to generate general visitor profiles. The purpose of performance cookies is basically to make your browsing session easier, more convenient and more enjoyable. Performance cookies may be first-party or third-party.
- Cookies set for statistics purposes enable the site managers to see which website pages you have visited and to geographically locate the computer/device used, e.g. Google Analytics.
- Cookies set for social purposes enable users to share website content on the social networks ? Twitter, Facebook, et al ? if they wish.
- Cookies set for profiling purposes enable the site managers to establish user profiles so as to be able to display advertising suited to their main interests ? e.g. DoubleClick cookies.
- Cookies set for advertising purposes record the advertisements that have been displayed during a user?s browsing sessions and their frequency. A number of cookies of this kind are used by Google Analytics. Convenience cookies may be either first-party or third-party cookies.
- Persistent cookies: also known as 'tracking cookies', these outlast an individual session and remain on your hard disk for a predefined period of time or until you choose to delete them.
- Session cookies: these are temporary cookies that enable visitors to navigate quickly and easily through the site during a browsing session. A browsing session begins when the visitor opens the browser window and ends when the visitor closes the window. All session cookies are deleted when you close your browser. Session cookies are usually functional cookies.
To give you an example, the cookies set by Comscore are classified as non-functional, third- party persistent cookies.
For more info on cookies
At www.allaboutcookies.org you can learn more about how cookies work.
|Name||Purpose||Lifetime||Details on use of the cookie|
|Pregion||Brand name||No end date||This cookie selects the right brand on the site. The value is always ‘F', which refers to BNP Paribas Fortis.|
|Pbrand||Site country||No end date||We do not use this cookie; it's value is always ‘BE'.|
|Planguage||User language||No end date||This cookie allows us to display the site in your preferred language.|
|Pedition||Edition of the site||No end date||This cookie allows us to display the site in your preferred edition: Personal, Professionals, or Private Banking.|
|Plogoninfo||Logon information that the user can save on the logon page||No end date||This cookie saves your logon data (customer number, card number, etc.) if you request this on the logon page.|
|Routing||Device / operating system||7 years||This cookie enables us to send periodic messages destined for a particular type of device or operating system. You can optionally request that these messages are not shown any more.|
The Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), an alliance of online advertising agencies, offers a lot of useful information and advice on behavioural advertising and online privacy at www.youronlinechoices.eu.
What types of cookies does BNP Paribas Fortis use?
These cookies are indispensable for proper operation of the website, and they do not reveal your personal identity.
Thanks to these cookies, you do not have to re-enter certain types of information each time you log on to the site. This includes your language preference, font type, your user name, etc.
These cookies are set for statistics, commercial, social or profiling purposes.
They help you receive the information that is most relevant and appropriate for you. If you wish, you can share this information on a social network with a single click.
|Name||Purpose||Lifetime||Set by||Details on use of the cookie|
|S1||Statistics||5 years||ComScore||These cookies are set to let us see how visitors use the website and where their visits to the website originated. This information is useful for improving our website and aligning it better to your needs of our visitors. This information is anonymous.|
|C1||Statistics||5 years||ComScore||Same as for S1|
|DoublecClick||Targeted Advertising||180 days||This cookie is used to display advertisements – adapted to your interests – on third-party websites according to the pages you have viewed on our website. No personal data collected on our website or on third-party websites is stored by this cookie.|
* With regard to cookies set by third parties – Comscore, among others – we refer you to the statements on their own websites (see the hyperlinks below). Please note that BNP Paribas Fortis has no influence whatsoever either on the contents of these statements or on the actual contents of the cookies set by these organisations.
Whatever you decide to do, you can always alter your choice by clicking the Cookies hyperlink at the bottom of every page of our website.
Adjusting your browser settings
Any time you wish, you can adjust your browser settings for accepting or rejecting cookies. These settings can generally be found in your browser's Options or Settings menu. For more information about these settings, we suggest you visit links below or click the Help tab in your browser.
- Cookies in Internet manage-cookies#ie=ie-Explorer
- Cookies in Mozilla Firefox
- Cookies in Chrome
- Cookies in Safari