PKR – Pakistani Rupee
PKR is considered to be a restricted currency, which implies an inherent limitation to the tradability of this currency. Fund transfers in this currency are not allowed outside of Pakistan.
The payment processing of this currency is considered to be complex, due to the large amount of information that needs to be provided in the payment instructions.
Besides the inherent complexity of payment formatting, the beneficiaries might be contacted by the beneficiary/correspondent bank and requested to complete a document (e.g. Form R) to release the funds.
The below information is applicable to all payments, in every currency with a beneficiary in Pakistan.
- Currency Guidelines
Besides the standard information, the IBAN format is mandatory (see Appendix VI).
A clear reason / purpose of payment is mandatory and consists of a full written description (in English) of the nature of payment to be provided in the remittance information. For example: providing an invoice number without guiding text is considered as insufficient and can result in errors or delays.
Example: Payment of travel expenses – invoice n° 123456789
Additionally, it is mandatory to provide in the remittance information:
• The beneficiary’s account full name in the beneficiary information field
• The beneficiary’s complete address in the beneficiary information / address field
• The beneficiary’s bank full name in the sender to receiver field
• The beneficiary’s bank full address (exact branch location) in the sender to receiver field
• The beneficiary’s telephone number. The beneficiary's phone number must be pre-fixed with 'Phone #'
Example: Phone # +922111111111.
• The remitter's identity number (unique ID) with the following prefix "Remitter UID".
• The beneficiary's identity number with the following prefix " Bene UID".
Below you'll find examples of possible ID's:
Required Information in the Remittance information field (field 70 line 2)
CNIC or SNIC (Computerized National Identity Card/ Smart National Identity Card Number)
Any Other Unique ID
'CNIC 1111145561111' or 'SNIC 1111145561111'
NTN (National Tax Number)/Entity Registration No
- Instructions, technical guidelines & more
To consult the Technical Guidelines of this currency, click hereTECHNICAL GUIDELINES
To consult the Appendix(es) click hereAppendix VI: IBAN Application Rules
- Additional information
• Available charge options: OUR/SHA/BEN
• It is important to note that the beneficiary needs to complete an Inward remittance form indicating the purpose of remittance. This form can be found on the State Bank of Pakistan (central bank of Pakistan) website. For this reason, the beneficiary’s number phone is important.
• Additional documentation may be required in order to comply with the country’s exchange control.
• Central bank of Pakistan: http://www.sbp.org.pk/